Mastodon The Writing Desk: Book Review ~ The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

21 October 2013

Book Review ~ The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory


The story of Anne Neville is a thread that connects the key players in the Wars of the Roses. Yet as Philippa Gregory points out, it is a story that has never really been told - until now. I enjoyed seeing events through Anne's eyes, although the first-person narrative was sometimes stilted and unconvincing. Reading The Kingmaker's Daughter I realised the real heroine of this story is Isobel, Anne's older sister, who seems to cope with much greater hardship. I would like to also see her story told. 

Richard the Third is always reminding people that his motto is "Loyaulte me lie" (loyalty binds me) and gets a lot more sensitive treatment than Anne's parents, who come across as hard and uncaring. On balance, this is a readable book that succeeds in shining the spotlight on the life of a truly important woman  - who was barely mentioned in history lessons when I was at school.     

The Kingmaker's Daughter is available on
Amazon US and Amazon UK


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting